Shadows will breathe

Shadows will breathe
"Careful. Evil has a way of making friends with the good and dragging them into the darkness." ~ Dr. Al Robbins

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Short Story of the Macabre

Stranded
Nightmare #109

I often think back to that day and wonder how things could have been different.  I remember the blue skies of the morning, the warmth of the September sun, and the cool breeze that flowed through the valley and into my car window to play with my hair.
It was perfect weather.  
It was the perfect day.

And what if I had made the slightest change that morning?
Maybe took the time to apply some eye shadow?
Maybe paused in front of the mirror just a second or two longer?
Perhaps if I had went back into the house for my earrings?
But, no, I was already running late.

What if I hadn't pushed that snooze button?
But got right up the very minute Katy Perry sang to me?
What if I had taken the time to pray?
To leave a note?
To send one last text?

Now, all I can do is replay all the what ifs and should haves and the maybes.
Going over and over in my mind how cruel time can be;
How being a minute earlier or just another second later would've erased me from that accident;
Would've removed me from that wreckage;
Spared me from this cold metal slab.

And now, I wander back and forth, stuck in this coffin of time - 
Aimlessly waiting for direction;
Wanting to go back but unable;
Trying to move forward but denied.  


~by: Deevious~




No comments: