Shadows will breathe

Shadows will breathe
"Careful. Evil has a way of making friends with the good and dragging them into the darkness." ~ Dr. Al Robbins

Thursday, September 28, 2017

For the Curious Ones...


This short story is part nightmare; part daydream; part imagination.
I hope you enjoy its darkness...


The Endless Way
Nightmare #91

I couldn't explain my curiosity.
And if I could, I don't think I'd change a thing.
I needed to see it for myself.

I drove that road every day to work and back home again.
That's five - sometimes six - days a week.
I couldn't help myself.
I saw that dirt road - it ran up the hill and into the skyline - and I had to know where it led;
What was at the end of it?
What treasures did it hold?
What were the views like from up there?

I expected to see a beautiful horizon;
Maybe a flowing field of flowers;
Or a pasture filled with grazing animals.
I assumed it would be similar to what you would find at the end of a rainbow.
All goodness and gold.
But it was not.
There was no magic here at all.
Only horror.

I saw things I should not have seen.
I now know things I should not know.
I hold secrets that will haunt me.
That own me.
That I must take to the headstone.

If I tell, They will come for me.
They made that quite clear.
They will distribute their own brand of justice upon me.
All because of my curiosity.
My stupid curiosity.
My childish thoughts of grandeur.

But that blood;
The smell of rot;
The impending doom;
There was nothing pretty about that at all.

It was the thing of nightmares.
And it proved to me the existence of monsters
and the arrangement they have with man.

That road is a path to hell, I assure you.
Take my word for it.
It is a hell on earth and I pity the souls who must walk it.
I pity us -
For we will all have our chance.
Sooner or later, we will all have to take that walk out of here.

But until that day comes...
I truly wish you well.
I wish for you the protection of angels
and the sanity of ignorance.
Above all, I pray for your soul
and for mine.

~by: Deevious~

No comments: